Accelerating Climate Action through the Circular Economy
December 5, 2022 9:00 – 10:30 am PT / 12:00 – 1:30 pm ET
Action on climate change and the circular economy work to achieve similar objectives: healthy environments, thriving citizens, and resilient communities. As local governments accelerate action on climate and circularity, they are considering how these efforts can be better integrated for greater impact. At this webinar, leading practitioners will share examples of how the circular economy can help deepen and accelerate progress on climate change, and highlight key pathways forward.
Explore the webinar slide deck
- Wayne Hubbard, ReLondon
- Meg O'Shea, Vancouver Economic Commission & Conor Reynolds, Division Manager, Air Quality and Climate Change Policy, Metro Vancouver
- Jack Macy, Zero Waste Program Manager, San Francisco Environment Department
- Maja Johannessen, Manager, Nordic Sustainability
- Lindsay Telfer, Manager, Capacity Development, Green Municipal Fund
- Barb Swartzentruber, Outgoing Executive Director, Smart Cities Office, Guelph-Wellington
This webinar will be delivered in English with a French simultaneous interpretation.
Exploring Circularity in Canadian Communities
May 5, 2022 8:30 – 10:00 am PT / 11:30 am – 1:00 pm ET
This session explored emerging circular economy success stories from Canadian cities and regions, and gained insights from international experts on why and how local governments can benefit from adopting circular economy approaches. Featuring graduates from our Peer-to-Peer Network, alongside leading circular economy organizations Circle Economy and the Ellen MacArthur Foundation. Learn more about how the CCRI is continuing its second year of engagement with diverse communities across Canada.
This webinar was part of Circular City Week, New York, May 2 – 8.
- Sarah O'Carroll, Cities Lead, Ellen MacArthur Foundation
- Max Russell, Project Manager, Circle Cities Programme, Circle Economy
- Nancy Dicks, Mayor, Town of New Glasgow & Rachel Mitchell, Climate Change and Sustainability Manager, Town of New Glasgow
- Peter Russell, Director of Sustainability and District Energy, City of Richmond
- Natacha Beauchesne, Economic Development Commissioner, City of Montréal
Circular Economy Measurement in Cities and Regions
October 6, 2021 11:30 am – 12:45 pm ET / 8:30 – 9:45 am PT
Featuring current strategies from the City of Toronto and Prague, Czech Republic, along with insights, case studies and measurement techniques from the circular economy expert organization, Circle Economy (Netherlands), this session explored how circularity requires a more holistic approach to measurement and the important role that a baseline assessment can play in building the case for circularity and mobilizing action.
- Meaghan Davis, City of Toronto
- Blake Robinson, Circle Economy (Netherlands)
- Vojtech Vosecky, Chairman of the CE Steering Committee at the City of Prague
Circularity in Cities and Regions: Addressing global challenges through innovative place-based solutions
Sept 15, 2021 11:30 am – 1:30 pm ET / 8:30 am – 10:30 am PT / 17:30 – 19:30 CEST
This interactive session explored the role of cities and regions in enabling the circular economy transition. It featured leading examples from around the world, with discussion and audience engagement geared to exploring the interventions with the greatest impact. Our audience heard from global cities on their circular journey, learned about the innovative approach underway in the Netherlands where 12 provinces have mapped their circular strengths and opportunities, and gained an understanding of how to scale up placed-based approaches. This event was an Accelerator Session at the
World Circular Economy Forum 2021.
Find a summary of the valuable resources shared in the chat
Hosted by the Circular Cities and Regions Initiative, in collaboration with: Ellen MacArthur Foundation, OECD, OneEarth, Government of the Netherlands, Strong Northern Netherlands and Circular Economy Leadership Canada.
Circularity at All Levels
July 15th, 11:30 am – 12:45 pm EST / 8:30 – 9:45 am PST
Our third webinar in our National Series featured the benefits of place-based innovation at the city and regional levels. The benefits of implementing circular economy strategies from small and rural regions to larger metropolitan areas, were discussed amongst our knowledgeable panellists.
- Cynthia Reynolds, Founder of Circular Regions (Norway)
- Helen Lavery, Regional Engagement Manager, Zero Waste Scotland
- Oriana Romano, Head of Unit, Water Governance and Circular Economy, OECD
- Rory Tooke, Manager, Sustainability, City of Victoria
Building Your Local Government's Circular Economy Strategy
Our second webinar in our National Series featured global leading experts on circular economy strategy and policy design. We began with the exciting announcement of our 15 Peer-to-Peer (P2P) Network community members! Our speakers then shared visionary principles and discuss the initial steps and components recommended for the development of a circular economy strategy. The webinar included best practice examples and demonstrated successful circular economy policy development from Canada and around the globe.
- Ashima Sukhdev, North America Programs Lead, Ellen MacArthur Foundation
- Wayne Hubbard, Chief Executive Officer, ReLondon (formerly LWARB)
- Barb Swartzentruber, Executive Director, Smart Cities Office, Guelph-Wellington
Advancing Circular Economy in Canadian Cities and Regions
The CCRI is a one year national pilot developed by the National Zero Waste Council, Federation of Canadian Municipalities, Recycling Council of Alberta, and RECYC-QUÉBEC to advance circular economy knowledge sharing and capacity building in the Canadian local government sector. Learn about exciting circular economy opportunities for cities and regions and find out how your local government can take part in the CCRI Peer-to-Peer (P2P) Network.
- Klaske Kruk, Founder, Circularities
- Carla Bitz, Environmental Coordinator, Resource Recovery, Town of Banff
- Christina Seidel, Executive Director, Recycling Council of Alberta
- Pauline Pingusson, Project Officer, Green Municipal Fund, FCM